A Year In the Making

Greetings one and all.

As I was checking out my oft neglected blog here, I discovered that exactly one year ago, I announced an upcoming project: The Revell 1/32 FW190 F-8.

https://groganbrett.wordpress.com/2017/05/

Just this last week, I finished it!

So, here is a little background on the project for those who don’t wish to go back through the archives: My son bought this model a couple of years ago and decided he didn’t want to build it (at least any time soon), so he gave it to me. I had looked at some possible schemes to do when I eventually decided to buy the kit myself, and setteld on Black 3 from Eaglecals, set EC#166.

Eaglecals FW190

I chose this particular scheme for a couple of reasons.

First, the color scheme is unusual for a WWII Luftwaffe aircraft, in that the lower wing and fuselage and fuselage sides are bare metal with a light mottling on the sides and tail, as well as tail control surfaces retaining a red-oxide primer finish.

Second, the backstory about this plane and pilot is fascinating. On May 8th, 1945, the pilot, Fw Eugen Lörcher, decided it was best to head west to avoid the advancing Russian forces. So, he grabbed his fiance, stuffed her into the fuselage via the radio compartment door, and made good his escape.

After I decided what I wanted to do with this model, I started. Assembly was pretty straightforward and went well. By the time I was ready for paint, I had to decide what I wanted to do as far as what brand of paint I wanted to use, as well as overcome the fear of finally tackling a bare metal finish aircraft. After a bit of research I decided on Vallejo Metal Color.

By the time I decided on what to use, hot weather was here and I didn’t want to risk messing up the paint job, so I decided to put painting off until cooler weather.

In the meantime, I got bogged down with too many projects going at the same time, and enthusiasm waned on modeling in general. Once I realized what was bogging me down, I girded up my loins and knocked each kit out, one at a time, saving the Fw190 for last.

After a bit of work, I finally completed it… almost exactly a year after starting.

So, without further adieu, here a are a few photos.

And with the completion of this kit, I can start afresh (on ONE kit) and get the groove going again.

Until next time…

Advertisements

A New Aircraft Project

I have been wanting to start this new aircraft kit for a while now, but wasn’t too sure what kind of scheme I wanted to go with, hence my delay on moving forward.

The kit, which I obtained from my oldest son, is the 2015 release of the Revell of Germany, 1/32 FW190 F-8, kit number 04869.

38-HN-Ac-Revell-Focke-Wulf-Fw190F8-1.32

When the kit came out in 2015, the reviews were generally positive, and after having (mostly) built the Bf109 G-10 that was released in 2013 by Revell, I figured it would be a good kit. My son bought it for himself, but decided he was going to pass on it for now and gave it to me.

Once I cleared the bench of most of my lingering projects, I started looking for a particular aircraft I could build. Usually, when I build a kit, I like to go for something unique, or with an interesting backstory. After a bit of searching I came up with a solution.

On May 8, 1945, A feldwebel in the Luftwaffe named Eugen Lörcher, decided, with the Russians closing in, to “get out of Dodge,” as the American saying goes. Like most German military personnel, the idea of being captured by the Russians was not the least bit acceptable. So, Fw Lörcher rounded up his fiance, packed her into the fuselage via the radio access panel, and headed for home from his base in Czechoslovakia. Flying at low altitude to avoid enemy fighters, but leaving himself open to ground fire, he eventually made a successful belly landing near his parents home. He and his fiance were unharmed, and eventually got married. I have also read that he and his wife returned every year to the crash sight to toast their successful escape with champagne.

After I decided on this scheme, I had to find a decal set for this particular subject. After a short search, I found a set from EagleCals.

Eaglecals FW190

The markings I will be using are for Black 3 at the bottom. Another reason I chose this particular aircraft, is the somewhat unique paint scheme. The fuselage sides and lower surfaces are bare metal, with a very faint mottling on the upper sides and tail, with camo colors on the top of the fuselage and the tops of the wings. The elevators and rudder are coated with red oxide primer.

Another interesting tidbit on this project: I have never painted a bare metal finish model of any kind.

Should be interesting.

At this point of the build, I have built and painted the cockpit components, assembled the aftermarket seatbelts, and started painting the inside fuselage parts for assembly.

20170521_092903

I will be painting this plane with Tamiya paints for the most part, with the exception of the bare metal which will be Vallejo brand metal paint.

So, stay tuned if you want to follow along. This won’t be a blow by blow build log, but more of an occasional update as I progress.