A New Aircraft Project

I have been wanting to start this new aircraft kit for a while now, but wasn’t too sure what kind of scheme I wanted to go with, hence my delay on moving forward.

The kit, which I obtained from my oldest son, is the 2015 release of the Revell of Germany, 1/32 FW190 F-8, kit number 04869.


When the kit came out in 2015, the reviews were generally positive, and after having (mostly) built the Bf109 G-10 that was released in 2013 by Revell, I figured it would be a good kit. My son bought it for himself, but decided he was going to pass on it for now and gave it to me.

Once I cleared the bench of most of my lingering projects, I started looking for a particular aircraft I could build. Usually, when I build a kit, I like to go for something unique, or with an interesting backstory. After a bit of searching I came up with a solution.

On May 8, 1945, A feldwebel in the Luftwaffe named Eugen Lörcher, decided, with the Russians closing in, to “get out of Dodge,” as the American saying goes. Like most German military personnel, the idea of being captured by the Russians was not the least bit acceptable. So, Fw Lörcher rounded up his fiance, packed her into the fuselage via the radio access panel, and headed for home from his base in Czechoslovakia. Flying at low altitude to avoid enemy fighters, but leaving himself open to ground fire, he eventually made a successful belly landing near his parents home. He and his fiance were unharmed, and eventually got married. I have also read that he and his wife returned every year to the crash sight to toast their successful escape with champagne.

After I decided on this scheme, I had to find a decal set for this particular subject. After a short search, I found a set from EagleCals.

Eaglecals FW190

The markings I will be using are for Black 3 at the bottom. Another reason I chose this particular aircraft, is the somewhat unique paint scheme. The fuselage sides and lower surfaces are bare metal, with a very faint mottling on the upper sides and tail, with camo colors on the top of the fuselage and the tops of the wings. The elevators and rudder are coated with red oxide primer.

Another interesting tidbit on this project: I have never painted a bare metal finish model of any kind.

Should be interesting.

At this point of the build, I have built and painted the cockpit components, assembled the aftermarket seatbelts, and started painting the inside fuselage parts for assembly.


I will be painting this plane with Tamiya paints for the most part, with the exception of the bare metal which will be Vallejo brand metal paint.

So, stay tuned if you want to follow along. This won’t be a blow by blow build log, but more of an occasional update as I progress.


Monogram 1/32 Panzer IV Complete

Well, here it is. I won’t bore you with a lot of text, but suffice it to say, I like the way it turned out. It was an easy build, fun, and brought back some pleasant memories of building these Monogram kits in my youth.


More Progress On The Bf-109

I got a bit more done over the last couple of weeks… in between the ultimate honey-do project… a living room/dining room remodel.

Now that the fuselage and wings are all together, I started on the next steps, namely the gear struts, stabilizers and control surfaces.

The struts are kind of different on this kit. On past kits I have built, the struts are usually molded as one piece, or at least the main strut is one piece with the scissor part and maybe a brake line molded separately. On this kit, the main part is molded in two halves. Many reviews have lamented this fact, stating fear of a weak strut due to the way it is molded. And then there are seam lines to deal with. I have to say, this really didn’t bother me. After test fitting and taking care of the ejector pin marks on the inside of the two halves, I found the fit to be quite good. With careful alignment I was able to get a near seamless join. A very light scrape of the hobby knife and I couldn’t even tell it had been cemented together.

The only real cleanup I had to do was on the inside where the ejector marks are. Instead of being recessed, as is often the case, they protruded a bit. After a quick trim with the knife, problem solved. (and yes, I realize I spelt “elector.)

Next, I moved on to the rear stabilizers. I cut the parts off and cleaned them up and cemented them together. Again, very nice fit and very light sanding on the edge was all that was needed. However, when I went to test fit them to the fuselage, I noticed something. As you can see in the photo below there are supposed to be holes in the tail of the plane that allow the rear ailerons to move up and down. These holes were not present on my parts.

So, I got out the handy-dandy pin vise and drilled the needed holes. Voila! ready to go.

And here is an overall shot so far. I won’t be attaching the control surfaces until after I do the painting.

Until next time…