A Halftrack of A Different Color

For my next project I will be tackling a subject I have never done before… a German halftrack.

The kit I have chosen is the Tamiya Sdkfz 251/9.

While perusing the interwebs for ideas and research, I found some interesting photos of vehicles of this type. I was quite surprised when I came across this one

It is the same vehicle pictured above, captured by the British and used by them during action in the Netherlands. This photo piqued my interest.

While looking for info on the unit markings, I found out that a booklet and decal set is available pertaining to this and other vehicles captured by the allies during WWII. I did a quick search online and found it.

And here is the vehicle in the booklet

After inspecting the kit contents, I opted to order some aftermarket tracks since the kit tracks are very basic, with no detail on the inner portion that contacts the road wheels. At the suggestion of a few modelers on a Google+ group I am a member of, I ordered a set of the single strip type for the Sdkfz 251 series manufactured by AFV Club.

So, that is the kit and extras. Next time… assembly begins.

Advertisements

November Already…

… and it is time for an update.

Last post saw the completion of the Academy Sherman M4A3 with T-34 Calliope. It was a fun kit, especially with the self inflicted update challenges I did. The end result came out better than expected.

 

My current project is the Dragon 1/35 scale M7 Priest, Early Production.

Most of the construction is complete, and it has been great so far. Construction is a bit different than the Tamiya and Academy kits I am used to, but with a bit of simple planning and care, it isn’t anything that can’t be overcome pretty easily. Look for a post soon discussing the construction soon.

After I wrap up the M7, I will be starting the Tamiya 1/35 Sdffz 251/9.

I will building this one pretty much out of the box as far as construction goes, but the paint will be different. I will be painting this one to replicate a vehicle captured by the British during Operation Market Garden. I have a decent photo to work off of and a decal set for this particular vehicle. Again, a post will be coming up about this one.

The only other kit I have waiting, is the new tool Tamiya 1/35 M10 Tank Destroyer. I have a photo to work off of for this one as well. It will be portraying a tank destroyer supporting the 76th Infantry Division during their push across Germany.

Many, many posts ago, I mentioned Shepard Paine as one of my early influences in modeling. Recently, a new book, Shep Paine’s Armor Modelers Guide, was released. I have yet to get it (I’ll probably order when I am done here!) but it got me thinking about those years long ago, perusing Shep’s Tips For Building Dioramas from the old Monogram kits. I always admired his work, and as I have gotten older, I appreciate it more, knowing now what kind of deadlines he had and the primitive models he had to work with. Back then, I could only dream of turning out finished models like he did.

Now however, I think my skills have improved enough that I could almost pull off some of the things he did. Notice I say almost… So, I have started to get the urge to finally try to duplicate what Shep did. My first and favorite introduction to his work was the Monogram Sherman Hedge Hog. He did some simple scratch built modifications, and made a really nicely done diorama depicting a Sherman plowing through a hedgerow supported by infantry during the fighting in Normandy.

So, I will have to start looking for one of the old kits with the diorama sheet in it, so I can give it a try. I’ll post updates on this one as they develop.

And… that is it for this time. Stay tuned for further stuff soon, and if you aren’t building models, give it shot. If you are, keep it up and have fun!