Tiger I, pt 3.

Two progress videos in three days… a record for me.

Advertisements

A Quick Change Up

How do, everyone?

Thought I would post up on some new developments.

First, the Revell Bf109 is temporarily on hold. I ran out of a primary color and had to order more.

Next, I am participating in a group build on the Google+ group I am involved with. The group build is called That ’70s Build. The criteria are these:

  1. The kit has to be a Tamiya kit of any subject, as long as it was produced between the mid-’60s and ’85.
  2. The kit has to be straight from the box… no after market items (photo etch parts, resin parts), but scratch building is allowed.
  3. The build began in October and runs until the end of December 2015

That’s it. As for my part, I just started last night. I am building, the Tamiya 1/25 scale Tiger I. This kit was originally released in 1969 and came with a full interior which was quite a big deal back then.

I originally received this kit from my brother as a gift in the late ’80s. I  intended to really go whole-hog on the interior and exterior as far as super-detailing it, but since the kit is plagued by numerous inaccuracies in details and dimensions, I figured this would be a great candidate for the group build.

Here is a review I did of the kit a few days ago.

Stay tuned for updates on this build as it comes together.

Bf 109 Coming Along.

Since I have finished my home interior remodel (phase 1), I have actually gotten some work done on the Revell Bf 109 G-10.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, this kit gives a bunch of “bang for your buck.” The fit is terrific, the molding is superb (except for a couple of small, easily fixed items), and the detail is outstanding.

My first job for this series, was to get the canopy masked. What I use to create my masks are are brand of painter’s tape called Frogtape, and Tamiya tape. For tools, new-bladed Xacto knife, and toothpick (cocktail stick for my across-the-Atlantic friends).

The reason I use this tape is because it leaves no residue and is designed so it won’t tear the paint when removed. As most people know, this type of tape differs from the common masking tape in that it is very smooth, giving a crisp, clean edge when the tape is removed.

First, I tear off an appropriate sized piece for the area to be masked. I press it firmly in place, then using a toothpick, I rub down the edges along the framework of the piece (a wind screen in this case). Done carefully, I have a nice well defined edge along the framework. Then, I carefully place the blade in a corner and follow the edge to the next corner. For curves, I just trace the blade along the edge slowly. With slight pressure towards the framework, I can keep a nice, straight line or curve.

 

After I got the windscreen finished, I moved on to the canopy. I use the same technique, but where longer, more gradual curves are involved, I use the Tamiya tape, which is much narrower, and follow the edge of the curve. Then all I have to do is trim the ends.

After that, I got all of the control surfaces and stuck them to a piece of cardboard, and sprayed the primer.

Then I taped off all of the intakes on the bottom of the fuselage, and using the extra gear doors (used to display the aircraft in flight), and some masking tape, had the bottom ready for primer.

For the top all I had to do was glue the extra canopy in place over the cockpit opening with some white glue for easy removal later.

With everything masked, I was able to get it sprayed with primer.

And this is where I am currently… ready for paint.