More Progress On The Bf-109

I got a bit more done over the last couple of weeks… in between the ultimate honey-do project… a living room/dining room remodel.

Now that the fuselage and wings are all together, I started on the next steps, namely the gear struts, stabilizers and control surfaces.

The struts are kind of different on this kit. On past kits I have built, the struts are usually molded as one piece, or at least the main strut is one piece with the scissor part and maybe a brake line molded separately. On this kit, the main part is molded in two halves. Many reviews have lamented this fact, stating fear of a weak strut due to the way it is molded. And then there are seam lines to deal with. I have to say, this really didn’t bother me. After test fitting and taking care of the ejector pin marks on the inside of the two halves, I found the fit to be quite good. With careful alignment I was able to get a near seamless join. A very light scrape of the hobby knife and I couldn’t even tell it had been cemented together.

The only real cleanup I had to do was on the inside where the ejector marks are. Instead of being recessed, as is often the case, they protruded a bit. After a quick trim with the knife, problem solved. (and yes, I realize I spelt “elector.)

Next, I moved on to the rear stabilizers. I cut the parts off and cleaned them up and cemented them together. Again, very nice fit and very light sanding on the edge was all that was needed. However, when I went to test fit them to the fuselage, I noticed something. As you can see in the photo below there are supposed to be holes in the tail of the plane that allow the rear ailerons to move up and down. These holes were not present on my parts.

So, I got out the handy-dandy pin vise and drilled the needed holes. Voila! ready to go.

And here is an overall shot so far. I won’t be attaching the control surfaces until after I do the painting.

Until next time…

Advertisements

More Progress On The 109

I hadn’t realized until today how long it’s been since I posted any updates about this project.

For starters, I am not getting quite as much done as I would like due to a major remodeling project in my house, but I am getting some done.

So far, this kit is going together nicely. I have to say that aircraft model kits are a far cry from my former forays into model building. In the ’80s, when I was building with some regularity, I avoided aircraft kits at all costs. I do NOT like filling and sanding and all of that, and it seemed that aircraft kits of yore were quite needy in this area. Not so anymore. Kit manufacturing has come a long way.

First up is an exhaust comparison photo. On the left is the kit part, and on the right is the Barracuda resin replacement. Not too much of a difference from this angle.

From this view you can see that the resin part is a little broader, especially at the curved, base section… a little truer to the real deal.

And here it is looking at the exhaust opening. The kit part is sold and needs to be hollowed out to look right, whereas the resin part is already hollow at the tips. Once painted and the inside of the exhaust blackened, it will look a bit more realistic.

Here is the exhaust installed. Also note in this photo the resin supercharger intake. The kit part isn’t too bad and would be usable, but this one is molded in one piece, thereby eliminating a seam mark on the inside of the opening that would be a little more difficult to correct.

During this assembly step, I made a note (hopefully as a help to others) indicating the sequence in which to assemble the landing gear bay parts. I dry fitted the parts a few times and it seemed this way worked the best.

Here are the parts I am working with now. I primed the portions of these parts that I am going to paint prior to further assembly.

And, finally, here is a closer shot of the installed cockpit.