Admitted Slacker, and A Perfect Airbrushing Solution

OK. Here we go again.

My last post was in January. I started this blog in September 2013.

I am a slacker. I admit it. But, I am really going to try and get this ball rolling. I just started modelling in earnest again, and even though it may sound like an excuse, it has just been too bleedin’ hot. Inside the house… lovely. Out in my shop… blazingly hot in the summer. And that is the only place I have to paint with the airbrush… well, I should say, “had” instead of “have.”

Now, due to a little research and ingenuity, I have the perfect solution.

A friend gave me a 5# Co2 bottle. I hustled on down to the local gas and welding supply and bought an appropriate regulator and exchanged the empty bottle for a full one.

The regulator had what I thought was a 3/8″ NPT fitting for the outlet, but not so. I don’t know what size it is, but it didn’t matter. The fitting in 1/4″ NPT on the other end, so I removed it and reinstalled an air hose fitting and voila! airbrush rig finished.

As you can see, there is a gauge for the tank pressure, and a gauge for the outgoing pressure, with a valve for adjusting the flow.

The bottle costs $15.00 to exchange, and the regulator setup cost $80.00. Some might consider this costly I suppose, but well worth it to me.

I can spray in the house with no noise. I use acrylics so there is no odor or fumes. It is silent except for the sound of the brush itself. No worries about moisture in the tank as in a regular shop-type compressor. And, unlike my shop compressor, when I hit the trigger on the airbrush I don’t get drop in pressure reading on the out gauge… very consistent flow. And best of all, my wife doesn’t mind!

So far I have sprayed three various layers (including cleaning the airbrush after each one) on a 1/48 scale P-51. And my son sprayed a figure and cleaned afterwards. Judging by those projects, I should be able to get quite a few kits out of one bottle.

Advertisements